FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Band Announcement
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shaking Tree Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shakingtree
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Band Announcement Reply with quote

Hey everyone---

I've been staring at the computer for a good half hour now trying to decide on a good opening sentence to this email. Do I just come out and break the bad news, do I open with a joke, or do I beat around the bush until you get tired of me avoiding what I have to say? This is a hard one because I honestly feel like this email is way too impersonal and there are so many of you who deserve a phone call and an explanation. So here goes-- we have decided that it is time to end Shaking Tree.

Tom, Rees, Keenan, and I are still great friends, there are no musical differences, and no "Behind the Music" type drama is going on. We felt that it is time to move on with our lives and try new things.

We are going to play a few shows in December and then do 4 or 5 shows at the beginning of 2007 and that will be all. I hope that you can join us for one of our final shows. The plan is to celebrate the life of Shaking Tree in the style of an Irish wake, but with less crying, more alcohol, and no river dancing.

We want everyone to know how privileged we feel to have been able to do this for so long. It sounds clich?, but we couldn't have done this with out you. Thank you for bringing our music into your lives and a special thanks to those of you who have given us a floor to sleep on, food to eat, and beers or shots to get us through a show. We have met so many incredible people while playing around the country, our lives are forever richer for having met you and we feel that we have received so much more than we could ever hope to give back.

Since I know all of you are wondering what each of us is going to do now that Shaking Tree is almost finished I'll leave you with everyone's plans:

I'm planning on releasing a solo CD in early 07. The CD will include the last couple songs that we did as Shaking Tree as well as a bunch of new stuff. I don't know if I will be able to tour after the release. I do plan on doing some shows but I'm not sure if I will be able to get out past KS, NE, IA, MO or not. I will keep everyone on this list updated. I'm also planning on going to law school next fall.

Tom is doing internet/computer work, full time, with a company he and his brother started a few years ago.

Keenan has taken a job as a speech pathologist in Kansas City. He is getting married next fall to Emily Miller.

Rees has moved to Wichita and lives with his girlfriend. He has a job as a High School drum core instructor and has a management position with a company that installs light fixtures.

Thank you all so much for your support over the years. We will have all of the final shows listed in the coming weeks on our website. We hope to see you all soon.

Dain
melissagartland

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: I am very sad Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad
I am sad to hear the news of the departure of the band. I have been a fan out here in Denver for a long time.... 6 or 7 years? Even sending friends in Overland Park to see you all play. I wish you all the best of luck in your new ventures. I will be eager to take a listen to the solo album from Dain. Take care, and thank you for all the great times!!!
wolverine99

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: A Sad, Sad Day Reply with quote

First Bo Schembechler passes 2 weeks ago and now this!!!

In all seriousness, it's been a great 6 years since I saw you guys at Mitch's in Ann Arbor. It is rare to find a band that makes the music you do without classification. Just good stuff.

Anyways, hopefully we will cross paths again in the future. Wish you all the best of luck with future endeavors.

Do you happen to know where the shows in '07 will be? Gonna have to make a road trip.

Thanks for everything,
Brian
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
stevechristy
board regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dain,

Let me know if I can help at all in securing a final gig in Wichita.

Best of Luck to everyone, and I cannot wait for the "solo" CD.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ericohly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Best of luck, guys Reply with quote

Disappointed you guys won't make it back east one more time, but I am so glad I got to see you this summer back in Lincoln.

Take care, and look me up if you're ever out in DC,

Eric
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
RichieSSC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will post a more lenghty response once I take in the events of a "hard" week being topped off with this news. Crying or Very sad

Steve or Ed,

I was thinking with this last run since you two gents seem to be much more resourceful than myself a good live recording might be a nice way to remember the band.

Any thoughts,
Dustin
Holy Toledo!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: I'll never forget Shaking Tree! Reply with quote

I am so devastated ? it truly is the end of an era.

You guys have been a staple in my life through so much of the last 10 years!

There are so many things I?ll remember ? things that, despite the booze, I?ll never forget.

From that first drunken night I walked in on you at that little dive bar on Southwest Blvd. in KC (where Lulu?s Noodles is now), to the drunken nights at the ?Brady House? in Lawrence, Kan. (it was always so damn cold in there), to the drunken nights at Belo?s in Tempe, Ariz. (swimming in my mom's pool and making tofu burgers on the grill), to the drunken night we road tripped to Chicago, Il. for a show you were playing at the Gay Pride Festival (those boys loved Aaron!), to the drunken night a show in Westport, Mo. got canceled and you set up and played in my living room instead (for an appreciative audience of two), to the drunken Homecoming night you played in Lincoln, Neb. after they?d just beaten KU (was that 1999?), to rest of the countless drunken nights we?ve spent together.

In addition to being superior musicians, you are all wonderful gentlemen. I remember first trying to explain to my mom (who was freaking out that I was hanging out with boys in a band, thinking you were all covered in tattoos and doing drugs) that I was the bad influence on you! She got it the moment she met you. I remember explaining it to my boyfriend, who didn?t like it that I crashed out on your couch after a show (who was freaking out that I slept in a house with four other guys) so that I wouldn?t have to drive back to KC at 3 a.m. He got it the moment he met you, too.

You guys always watched out for me ? You carried me down the stairs at the Jazzhaus, you drove me home, you let me sleep it off at your place ? And you played ?my song? every single time! You even rearranged the set list a few times to make sure I wouldn?t miss it if I had to check out early.

You are six (Dain, Tom, Ian, Aaron and Keenan and Rees) brilliant musicians ? and six wonderful friends! I am blessed to have known you, to have spent time with you, and to have danced my ass off at so many incredible shows!

Thanks for the memories!!! I'll never forget Shaking Tree!!
Whitney
board regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am unable to comment. Sad

Visit me on myspace.com: http://www.myspace.com/nebraskawhit
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fretless Bass

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: So sorry to hear it, guys! Reply with quote

Wow.

I've been watching this board for YEARS (since I left the band in April of 01) and haven't posted.

Keenan and Rees: I never met you... I hope you enjoyed your tenure with these gents.

Dain and Tom: Man, I still miss playing with you guys... Don't get me wrong- I wouldn't trade my wife and kids for anything. It was time for me to leave back then. I wish I could make it back for one of the farewell shows... maybe sit in. Shaking Tree was a great ride. I certainly wish you all the best.

Dain... let me know if you need any bass work done on your solo stuff! We can exchange audio online if you want! Smile

Good luck, guys...

--Ian Burns (former bass guy)
Aggieliberal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a fan of y'all ever since your show out at Chautauqua - which must have been a good 4 or 5 years ago at least. I got the privilege to see y'all again in DC last summer right after the release of familiar.

I NEVER get tired of listening to my old worn out "Matter of Choice" album. I've tried to spread your music as much as I can down here in Texas, though I never got to see a show in my home state.

But in the spirit of the holidays I want to say Thank You. Thanks for all the joy and meaning you've added to my music, and thank you for working so hard and being so damn talented. You guys are the greatest band this country has seen in a long, long time.

Vaya con Dios, my friends. And don't doubt for a second the amount of joy you've brought to the lives of others.
rememberyoursmile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: SAY WHAT? Reply with quote

When I heard the news, I was quite sad. However, I absolutely understand.

I just want to thank-you guys. Though I'm newer to this group than many, I think I still love you guys just as much. Your music reaches my soul and always sounds like home to me. It also make it insanely hard for me to sit still.

Beyond the music, I consider you guys family. I love you, I love your significant others. Thanks for all of the good times, for all of the memories. I wish the very best to each of you.[/img]
Jahdrum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the writing was on the wall when the band was listed as ?Shaken Stick? on the sign outside a club in Alabama?we were so pissed! And then there was ?Shacking Tree? on the Rusty?s sign in Manhattan, KS ? god bless those K-State kids for trying.

In all sincerity, I will never forget my time spent in Shaking Tree. I would imagine that, in the months and years to come, the thing you guys will miss the most ? as I have since I left ? is seeing all of the friends you?ve made along the way (OK, so missing the chicken sandwiches at Yankee Dog in Boise is a close second?but the friends are still #1).

I?ll definitely be out to see a couple of the upcoming KC shows ? and I wish you all the best.

Aaron
danJ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can do is look back and try to remember all the good times I had watching and listing Shaking Tree play. The key word is REMEMBER. Living in St. Louis and Kansas City it is hard to find great bands that have the same sound as this band. I will miss seeing you guys play but wish all of you the best and will do my best to see all the shows around KC. Can't wait for the single Dain. Hope to see all of you at the final shows.

Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all of the time and have the time of your life.
--Anonymous
katiebernd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Wow... Reply with quote

Guys...I have to say that I was shocked when I read the news. But I realize that all good things must come to an end. I will always remember your visits to Marquette, they will always be a great memory of mine from college.

The great thing for us fans...is that we will all still have your music to listen to. And that part of Shaking Tree will never die.

I wish you all the best of luck with your future endeavors! You guys will be missed!
wolverine99

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to suggest a full band viewing of the movie Almost Famous. Specifically, the bus scene where they sing Tiny Dancer. Sorry, I had to make one last ditch effort.

Looking forward to my first trip to your neck of the woods in January for the last shows.

Good music always lasts, even if the band can't.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Shaking Tree Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: